Sunday, July 01, 2007

Pho's Akron Pages: Mostly Safe for Children

Yglesias points out a tool provided by online dating site Mingle2 that searches a blog and generates an MPAA-style rating. Here's what I get:

As usual, the takeaway is that the tool is a bunch of hooey. I don't know how far back the tool searches, but I've dropped the f*bomb more that once in the past. I've also used "gay" way more than twice. Meanwhile, I can't find anywhere that I've used "poop." Except for just now.

Still I think PG is about right. Maybe PG-13 when things get particularly salty in comments. And as a bonus, most kids would find most of the blog intolerably boring before getting to any dicey stuff.

9 comments:

k-pho said...

Um, actually you have a label that includes the word poop.

If they were keying in 'douchbag', I know you'd get rated 'R'

Jill said...

The words death pain and dead earned me a PG-13. too much

Anonymous said...

I was rated "G".

I guess I need to work on destroying my clean cut milktoasty image...

:-)

Scott Piepho said...

K:

Thx. Funny how Blogger's internal search engine doesn't pick that up. It also shows the limits of the tool -- I used "poop" in an entirely non-scatalogical sense.

Jill and LR:

I love the contrasts. I especially live knowing that they amp you up for "pain" and "death." Pace K, I'd be less comfortable with my kids reading my anti-Pullins douchebag blasts than Jill talking gently about mortality.

Jill said...

Why thank you, Pho! I guess there's no rating for how you say it, just what you say, hm? The problem with computers.

Anonymous said...

Got a new idea for a PlunderShirt now!

Plunderbund: G Rated Blog Goodness Since 2005!

...too funny.

Jason Haas said...

PBD2 = G, one instance of "screwing".

PBD v1 = also G, one instance of "dead".

I wonder how dead screwing would rate?

Village Green said...

The Village Green is rated R for Radical, perhaps? Or perhaps for all the Storm Large videos. No, it is for five references to "death," two for "suicide" and "sex."

Anonymous said...

I got a PG-13 over 4 instances of the word "gun" (3 of those in an item about mandatory sentencing guidelines) and one instance of the word "bastard" (in my blogroll).