1. “Hornets! Hornets!” The Hold Steady
2. “Left Hand Suzuki Method,” Gorillaz
3. “Skip Tracer,” Sonic Youth
4. “String Quartet No. 2 ‘Company’: II,” Kronos Quartet
5. “Buffalo Nickel,” Bela Fleck
6. “Waitin’ for Superman,” The Flaming Lips
7. “The Picture,” Loudon Wainwright III
8. “Valentine’s Day,” Steve Earle
9. “Cameltosis,” Korn
10. “[Untitled],” Pretty Girls Make Graves
I'll take this opportunity to plug The Hold Steady. I pretty much love everything about this band and they do almost everything I love to hear from a band. Lead singer -- well more like lead poetry shouter -- Craig Finn pens intelligent, complex lyrics and delivers them over monstrous guitar riffs.
A sample from Hornets! -- kind of a Bukoski take on the Amazing Rhythm Aces' "Third Rate Romance":
- she said i like the guy who always answers the door.
he never asks you what you came to his house for.
she said i won't be much for all this humbert humbert stuff.
i've never done so much of this.
i have to try so hard not to fall in love.
i have to concentrate when we kiss.
she mouthed the words along to "running up that hill."
that song got scratched into her soul.
he's never heard the song before. but still he gets the metaphor.
he knows some people that switched places before.
she said i really like the crowds at the really big shows.
people touching people that they don't even know, yo.