Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I've Got No Job, But I'm an Opera Fan*

This evening I will be a guest blogger/Twitterer at Opera Cleveland's rehearsal for their performance of "Falstaff." Their publicity manager -- and Opera Chicken blogger -- is a blogging veteran whom I got to know back when we were trying the GABB thing. (And BTW, all respect for anyone who can secure a paid gig that includes blogging.)

The idea is to let some social media types see behind the scenes and blogg/tweet the experience. Yes, it's more than a little off-topic, but I'm looking forward to it. I will certainly do some real-time tweeting under hashtag #operacleveland. The blogging may be live but more likely will be a retrospective once we get home.

Now I have a pile of stuff to do to justify this little excursion. See you then.


*Long inside story about the title. Years ago NPR did a story about the group rock Chumawumba -- remember "Tubthumping" with it's "I get knocked down, but I get up again" refrain? A listener mailed in a thanks for the profile and in particular in clarifying that refrain. "It sounded to me like "I've got no job, but I'm an opera fan." While that description meets a number of my friends, it didn't seem sufficiently universal to form the basis of an international pop hit. " That exchange has stuck with me. In fact, as I've been working all this out, the song has been going through my head, with the alternate lyric.
On the other hand, it's not entirely accurate. But "I don't have a full-time job, and while I appreciate opera, I don't actually seek it out generally," but it didn't have the ring, so . . .

1 comments:

Ann V. said...

It sounds like it's going to be fun - I mean, it's Falstaff and it's Verdi. I look forward to your review.