I've been asked to assemble a how-to for activists interested in blogging. The technical stuff is easy enough, but I've found that understanding the more, folkways and taboos of the blogosphere has been nearly as important. I've started a list of do's and don'ts, but I would like to tap the collective wisdom of the community. What unwritten rules of the 'sphere do you think newbies need to know? For that matter, what rules do benefit the blogosphere?
My list so far:
- Enable comments
- Embed links to your sources whenever possible.
- If you get an idea for a topic from another blog, acknowledge that with a link to the blog.
- If you make a mistake, correct it on the blog. If a commentor points out an error, you should nonetheless make the correction on the blog itself.
- If you correct an error, make it clear you have done so. For example, strikeout the erroneous information and note that the post is corrected in the body or (better) the title.
- Blogroll those who blogroll you.