Saturday, January 05, 2008

A Blogger/Soldier's Posthumous Farewell

Obsidian Wings contributor Major Andrew Olmsted died in Iraq Thursday. He left a with a fellow OW blogger a final post which is up now. It's long, befitting such a final testament, and is worth reading in it's entirety. This plea for restraint is particularly moving:

    I do ask (not that I'm in a position to enforce this) that no one try to use my death to further their political purposes. I went to Iraq and did what I did for my reasons, not yours. My life isn't a chit to be used to bludgeon people to silence on either side. If you think the U.S. should stay in Iraq, don't drag me into it by claiming that somehow my death demands us staying in Iraq. If you think the U.S. ought to get out tomorrow, don't cite my name as an example of someone's life who was wasted by our mission in Iraq. I have my own opinions about what we should do about Iraq, but since I'm not around to expound on them I'd prefer others not try and use me as some kind of moral capital to support a position I probably didn't support. Further, this is tough enough on my family without their having to see my picture being used in some rally or my name being cited for some political purpose. You can fight political battles without hurting my family, and I'd prefer that you did so.

As is this observation of the costs of war:
    [O]n a larger scale, for those who knew me well enough to be saddened by my death, especially for those who haven't known anyone else lost to this war, perhaps my death can serve as a small reminder of the costs of war. Regardless of the merits of this war, or of any war, I think that many of us in America have forgotten that war means death and suffering in wholesale lots. A decision that for most of us in America was academic, whether or not to go to war in Iraq, had very real consequences for hundreds of thousands of people. Yet I was as guilty as anyone of minimizing those very real consequences in lieu of a cold discussion of theoretical merits of war and peace. Now I'm facing some very real consequences of that decision; who says life doesn't have a sense of humor?

And this attempt to reconcile the two sentiments:
    This may be a contradiction of my above call to keep politics out of my death, but I hope not. Sometimes going to war is the right idea. I think we've drawn that line too far in the direction of war rather than peace, but I'm a soldier and I know that sometimes you have to fight if you're to hold onto what you hold dear. But in making that decision, I believe we understate the costs of war; when we make the decision to fight, we make the decision to kill, and that means lives and families destroyed. Mine now falls into that category; the next time the question of war or peace comes up, if you knew me at least you can understand a bit more just what it is you're deciding to do, and whether or not those costs are worth it.
The whole thing is a heartbreakingly brilliant final statement. Sympathies to Maj. Olmstead's friends and family.

h/t Volokh

1 comments:

fausto said...

and after five years we still aren't being asked to sacrifice anything for this war (occupation). ken burns has referred to this in the many interviews he has done in support of the "the war". the sacrificing and suffering is done in silence by the professional military class and their families while the rest of us are fed catch phrases and yellow ribbon magnets.