I'm not a meteorologist, but nonetheless I have predictions about what happens next.
- Any criticism of the Bush administration for policies that arguably made the disaster worse -- cutting funds for disaster preparedness, gutting wetlands protection, parking the Louisiana National Guard in Iraq -- will be dismissed as political opportunism.
- Meanwhile, nonopportunistic Republicans will use the disaster as justification for drilling in ANWR because of the new petroleum crunch.
- Nonopportunistic Republicans will use the disaster as justification for lifting whatever logging restrictions have escaped the axe so far because we will need cheap lumber to rebuild.
- Nonopportunistic Republicans will use the disaster as justification for another tax cut since anything serves as justification for a tax cut.
- Some fundamentalist preacher somewhere will declare what God is punishing us for this time.
- No one will question whether we should rebuild in flood-prone areas since doing so would mean that the Hurricaine Has Won.
- President Bush will say that we should come together as a nation and make sacrifices to help rebuild, but the liberal community will anyway.
Check back to see how I did.